Thursday, October 6, 2011

Momma's got a sweet tooth.

I've always had a sweet tooth.  I love deserts and desert drinks.  I love chocolate.  I love ice cream.  I love cookies, brownies, you name it.

The husband is an amazing cook and is the main chef in our house.  If I'm feeling froggy I'll let him have a night off, but usually you can't find me in the kitchen.  Unless I'm baking.

I LOVE PALEO BAKING!!

Right now, I'm in the middle of Paleo fudge brownies.  Let me tell you,  the last two times I've made these, they've turned out divine.  Easily the best brownie I've ever had.  Even though they are grain-free AND dairy-free, they are the most fudgy, chocolaty, moist brownies.  Instead of making a huge pan of sweets, I use a muffin pan greased with coconut oil to make 12 brownies for the week ... or couple of days.  These are great right out of the oven, but don't lose any credibility after sitting out.


2 cups of almond butter -We make our own, which is super easy.  Just throw almonds in the food processor and watch until its peanut butter consistency. If you are allergic to nuts, you could use sunbutter.
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 TB vanilla extract
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder (We used the Hershey's special dark)
2 eggs - If you don't do eggs, ground flax seed might serve as a good binder.  
Enjoy life chocolate chips (optional)


1.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Line your cupcake pan with coconut oil and set aside.  You could use baking cups but you don't get the crispy brownie edge.  You could also probably make these in a 9x13 pan, but again we like the individual portions.


2.  Mix together your almond butter, eggs, and maple syrup.  I do all of mine by hand so just play around with the speed on your mixer if you use one.


3.  Fold in the vanilla, baking soda, salt.  


4.  Add cocoa powder.  Don't just dump it in there.  The powder is so light it will go all over the kitchen.  Add a little at a time, or mix slow.


5.  Add chocolate chips.  Some other tasty add ins might include: coconut, fruit, or even espresso powder.


6.  Pour into muffin pan.  It's easier to get them roughly the same size if you use an ice cream scoop.


7.  Bake 20-30 minutes.  I take them out at 20 because I like them a little gooey in the center.  If you prefer a more cake-like brownie, leave them in a little longer.

Enjoy ... they are all three of our favorites.

PS:  It seems that the new baby enjoys them as well.  Momma is happy :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment