Friday, August 26, 2011

Yes, I sometimes think I'm better ...

It's sad to admit, but its true. Don't we all do this on some level or another though? Especially as parents, we get in this "my way is the best way" mentality. Sure, we made those decisions because we think they are the best. For our child. I sometimes have to remind myself that other parents also make their decisions based on whats best for their child. It's not really my place to tell others how to raise their kids. Just like I hate when people tell me the things I do are wrong. We all have our own opinions and are allowed to make our own decisions. That's the cool thing about being humans.

It definitely gets hard not to force your opinions on others though. The cave husband and I did countless hours of research on everything from vaccinations to cloth diapering. There's a lot of decisions that just make sense. They were no-brainers for us and I think it gets frustrating when other people don't see them as no-brainers as well.

Take circumcision for example. That was a very resounding NO in our house. When you read that even the American Academy of Pediatrics says it is not medically necessary, why would you even consider it? That was the quickest decision we made. WE WILL NOT TAKE AWAY ANY PART OF HIM WITHOUT HIS CONSENT! Yes, I know there are religious reasons and other things like that, but seriously?!? If its not a religious belief, it's simply just a lack of knowledge. Do your homework! And if you can honestly you say you read all the research, and decided to still remove something that isn't yours, I don't think we can be friends. It's sickening to me. Sorry, but its true.

I'm trying really hard to not be THAT parent, but honestly its hard. There are just times I want to scream "you're doing it all wrong" but that's not my place. Again, for whatever the reasons may be, they made those decisions based on what they think is best for their child. I definitely don't want to be known as the crazy pushy parent. I want friends/family/strangers to ask for my opinion and to value it, because I did put A LOT of time and energy into researching every side of every decision.

0 comments:

Post a Comment